growth



After reading Wendell Berry's The Unsettling of America last summer I have been determined to regain a sense of connection with the earth and the food my family eats. The first step in the process is growing our own food. I have been hesitant to write much about the process here because I hate to let people see me fail and I have a large margin for at least some failure in this venture. I have been studying everything I could get my hands on and I have been using the great resources the internet has to offer. Unfortunately I have, for the most part, not connected with others who share a desire to grow food. This is purely my fault for not taking advantage of the wisdom others have to offer. I was able to talk to Eric, who pointed me to Fedco Seeds. I have cauliflower, tomatoes, onions and peppers started in my basement and peas, spinach, lettuce and kale are in the ground as of Saturday. I've added a picture of the garden being tilled and some cauliflower seedlings. My blog will probably begin to be more of a record of my garden as it continues, both my failures and successes.


I also wanted to include this video of our little Emma who is growing up so fast. She is laughing at her brother who is behind the camera.

1 comments:

Casey Tygrett said...

welcome. you are officially entering an entirely different world where the smell of dirt is beyond description. freakin' Wendell Berry, he hooks you in. my garden began after reading "Hannah Coulter" and the expectation and anticipation of planting again this spring was almost too much.

welcome to the membership.

grace and peace