middleman


I finished reading Jon Krakauer’s “Under the Banner of Heaven” (recommended by Dave A.). I’ve wanted to write about it since I started reading it about a week and a half ago. Mormon culture has always been fascinating to me and now that I work with a couple of Saints it is even more so. I’ve studied Mormonism in the past but I have never read anything that gets so close to the fabric of their culture. I have wanted to ask my co-workers some questions not only about the book but also about their decision to convert. I will go ahead and admit that I am biased against the LDS church. It amazes me that people join. I just wanted to state my bias and say up front that I know it is somewhat ridiculous to adhere to one faith tradition and look condescendingly upon another.
The book focuses on a family of fundamentalist Mormons who commit a hideous murder after receiving a “revelation”. Krakauer does a good job of finding the seeds that were sown more than a hundred years earlier that led to the religion’s short but violent history. His main focus is on the Latter Day Saints’ polygamous doctrines that were implemented by their founding leader, Joseph Smith, and then overturned when the government began to make forceful moves at putting an end to polygamy in Utah. I would like to ask a Mormon why polygamy is now frowned upon since it was practiced by the founding leaders (Smith, Brigham Young) and its practice is commanded in their scriptures. It is one thing to see evidence of polygamy being practiced in the Old Testament; it is another to have it as a tenet of your faith. I understand that Saints can get around this by saying that God revealed to a later prophet, Wilford Woodruff, but earlier Smith had received a revelation that God told him he would never revoke the plural marriage command. Revelation has always been a huge concern of mine concerning my own faith. As a follower of Jesus I can always go back to his words and actions to find a foundation. Where would a Mormon go? Their own scripture has been repealed. Again this is why I wish I could just sit down and talk with one of the guys at work but I am concerned that they will see it an attack and an opportunity to challenge my beliefs whereas I just want to have a discussion.

All of the history behind how this religion was started and who started it was fascinating and at times ridiculous and unbelievable (as is a story about someone rising from the dead). Joseph Smith almost comes across as a sympathetic figure, at times. I’ve never studied Smith’s successor Brigham Young much but from what I have heard and now read he fits the role of villain. Krakauer writes that Young once bragged, “We have the greatest and smoothest liars in the world.” They even have a name for it, “Lying for the Lord”. Whereas Smith is portrayed as both compassionate and monstrous Young usually only fits the latter category.
A Mormon owns the bike shop and he supplies bikes for missionaries all over the country. There are times when we build these bikes. So far I haven’t had to build a missionary bike but I have a hard time with the idea of contributing to what I think is a detrimental ideology being introduced into people’s lives by Mormons. I’ve talked to Jenn about it and I have asked other people their opinion as well but I haven’t yet been able to figure out how I should respond when the request is made. I want to live out peace but should that include helping a faith system I am opposed to?

7 comments:

John said...

Joseph Smith's hair is the reason he has so many followers. If you had that hair you'd be able to start a religion too. I think you're just interested in him because your middle name is Joseph!

BT said...

You think their stories are crazy...How about a meteor entering through your screen door and flying down your throat?

Casey Tygrett said...

and I quote: Chad Polen, to Dr. Terrell Sanders when Dr. T challenged Chad's Methodism: "At least my guy didn't swallow a comet."

this is not really what you were asking for, eh dave?

peace

David said...

Don't sell Brigham short, he is the man with the awesome hair.

I was thinking about the comet after I wrote this and it made me laugh when both of you commented about that incident. Comet swallowing and peep stones are both pretty whacked out. I am glad we can always go back to Jesus who simply rose from the dead.

Subversion...I am always looking for humor, especially when I end a post with an unanswerable question.

urBenLA said...

David,

I don't know where I'd stand on this one if I were in your shoes. It's hard to push away the hand that feeds you, but at the same time befriending this man is different than working for him to supply the Morman world with bikes. I think I'd want to stand by my convictions, and know that God will provide and there will be bread on the table... somehow. Let me know if you need bread, bro.

BTW, I just found out about this conference and was going to let kevinson and others in on it. I def am going to the luncheon (it's free), but I wanted to see if you wanted to join me.
http://www.city-vision.org/

David said...

Ben,

I don't need bread yet...but I'll let you know.

I went ahead and signed up for the luncheon...looking forward to it.

John said...

Man, Brigham had to go and screw up my hair joke. I thought it was Joe.