The Flood and The Storm






Thursday morning I found half of our driveway coated with mud and debris, which lead me to believe that the severe thunderstorms that had passed through the previous night had caused a flash flood during the early morning hours. Thursday night we had more rain and the flooding returned. Around 11p.m. Jenn and I worked to get some things away from the walls in the basement and then ventured outside to see if the water was getting closer to our house. We were met by some of our neighbors who were gathering a perturbed posse of cul-de-sacites demanding that something be done about our problem, unbeknownst to me, that recurres annually. Last night I called my township trustee and left a message asking him if there was anything that could be done. Two neighbors had given me a tour of the water flow, or lack thereof, around our homes. It seems that we are the lowest area around and the developer of this neighborhood didn't take the necessary steps to ensure proper water-flow so our cul-de-sac ends up bearing the gallons of mismanaged water.
We don't live in a large development. There are maybe 30 homes in our little neighborhood, surrounded by farms, pastures and hills, but as I have been hearing the story of the neighborhood it is becoming clear that my neighbors are less concerned about the welfare of the community than they are disturbing their private property.
All of these events are being processed while reading a collection of agrarian essays by Wendell Berry called, The Art of the Commonplace. So I stand in the water with my neighbors and I have no regrets about where I am or decisions we've made. I stand in the water in peace and I am thankful that this is my place. I haven't been anxious or worried and I have been exploring solutions. This community has had too many selfish solutions so I will be patient and my neighbors will be consulted about any changes I intend to make. I don't curse the water, the developer or the former owners who neglected to mention the flooding. My eyes now see how our manipulation of the land has lead to our dis-ease and anxiety. My hope is that we are able to find the best solution for the land and for our community.

3 comments:

A Sinner said...

http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/palmbajp/

David said...

Does our well count as water harvesting? If not I think it should!

A Sinner said...

I don't really know much about water harvesting. I was mostly being a smart ass. Hope you come up with a solution that benefits your community.

miss you guys. hope to see you soon.